Mould on walls

Does Mould Die When It Dries? It’s a popular misconception that dry mould is harmless, but is this the case? Both yes and no. Mould spores will not multiply without a source of moisture, but once they come into touch with water again, they will reactivate and begin to develop.

Mould and mildew can cause a variety of health problems in addition to causing damage to walls, tiles, carpets, and other surfaces in the home. And, while everyone reacts differently to mould, several studies have shown that exposure to mould spores can cause responses ranging from moderately allergic to pathogenic and even toxigenic.

So, in order to avoid mould development and preserve your health, what do you need to know about mould? Here’s a quick rundown of the basics.

What does mould require to thrive?

The fact is that mould spores don’t require much to get out of hand. Lots of moisture and food are ideal circumstances. Moisture encourages mould development inside. This helps to explain why mould thrives in high-humidity, moist environments like bathrooms and basements.

Mould requires nutrients in addition to moisture, which may be found in a range of materials such as paper, wood, drywall, or any organic material.

Do mould spores die in the absence of moisture?

The presence of moisture, as previously stated, is a critical need for mould formation. Mould will “go to sleep” if there isn’t a continual supply of water. The spores, on the other hand, never truly “die” since they can resurrect once fresh moisture is available. Under the correct conditions, some mould spores can remain dormant for hundreds of years, depending on the type of mould.

If you have an active mould problem, merely eliminating humidity will not enough. If you don’t want the mould to grow again, you must remove the mould spores (as well as any contaminated things).

Remember that mould can begin to grow within 24 to 48 hours of a material being moist. It will continue to develop until it is completely eradicated (the moisture problem remedied and the mould-contaminated materials removed). If you want to avoid mould from forming in the first place, make sure that any moist goods are dried within 24 hours.

When mould dries off, what happens to it?

Mould spores become dormant once they have dried out. They can, however, induce unpleasant symptoms and allergic responses in people, such as itchy eyes, runny noses, skin rashes, coughing, and sneezing.

Furthermore, dried mould spores are quite light and may readily become airborne. This can soon spread throughout your house, contaminating other locations. As a result, merely allowing mould spores to dry without cleaning or wiping them away is not a suitable mould remedy.

You may either clean the mould yourself (excellent for small surface mould problems) or hire mould remediation specialists for safe removal of bigger mould problems, depending on the amount of the mould contamination.

Is it possible for mould to develop without water?

Mould must have moisture to flourish because its spores need oxygen and temperature to reproduce. Yes, mould does require moisture, but various varieties of mould require varying quantities of moisture. Some mould species, in fact, require very little water and may even thrive in the desert. Drying damp or moist goods and surfaces is your best hope for avoiding significant mould problems.

Contact The Dwelling Doctors For Your Mould Issues

If you’re having issues with mould, feel free to get in touch with us today here. So the answer to does mould grow when it dries is, yes and no!